>

Search This Blog For Treasures

October 9, 2008

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease...

Definition

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is a mild, but highly contagious viral infection common in young children. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is characterized by sores in the mouth and a rash on the hands and feet. It spreads from person to person, usually through unwashed hands or contaminated surfaces. The most common cause of hand-foot-and-mouth disease is coxsackievirus infection.

It's making it's 2nd round in our household. Alex had it back in the spring and gave it to Bethany. Now he's picked it up again and I have no clue where he got it from, I know no other kids who have it.

So here's his little hands, you can't see the smaller dots.

And here's his little feet, the bottom of his feet are covered.

He seems to be in a great mood, not too grouchy. I just can't believe we got it again. He has little blisters in his mouth and dots on his tongue. He ran a low grade temp a few days ago, nothing really even worth noticing.

4 comments:

Laura said...

There are at least 3-4 others from the nursery that have had it recently. I hate that our nursery kids are the victims of ANOTHER outbreak!

McAngie said...

Laura,

I didn't realize that it was going around the nursery. Makes me wonder if he picked it up on Sunday morning. None of my other kids ever got stuff like this. Alex is definitely breaking the mold!

Rosie : ) said...

A few years ago, our children picked it up from the Toy Library Program. It wasn't a big deal, just uncomfortable and itchy. I hope your kids don't get worse, and keep their good humour. :)

The Foley 5 said...

I would have to disagree with that definition of HFM because my poor Parker did not have it "mild"! It was terrible!!! I'm so sorry Alex had caught it, I think it's making its rounds here in the 'boro and every child seems to have a different strain of it because some have it more mildly than others. Hope Alex gets to feeling better soon!!