>

Search This Blog For Treasures

May 9, 2009

Color Of The Day...

...Lexi has some mystery poop going on. I'm stumped. She's completely breastfed and has green poop off and on. Being breastfed she should have mustard colored poop. I'm thinking from the information I read on the LaLechea League website that she is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. So how do I fix it? If I pump the foremilk then I will just make more milk. But then again, I could stock up some milk for later use!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

We had that prob with Zachary a bit and I just started nursing him on one side at a time. I made way too much milk so I just alternated sides each time that way he "drained" it each time he nursed. Fixed it!

Joy said...

Do you just feed on one side each feeding? that way she drains it completely?

Or maybe pump just for a couple minutes before she eats.

Rosie : ) said...

I have had various and very different issues with each. :) Basically, the "seeds" in the mustardy poop are fat, and that's how you know if they are getting enough fats in your hindmilk. If you think she isn't getting enough, try to feed only one side at a time each feeding, leaving her 20 mins or so on that same side. Apparently, most women can take from 5 minutes to 15 minutes for their hindmilk to appear. You can alwasy pump a bit on the opposite side to relieve some pressure, and store that milk for later use, as you mentioned. :)

McAngie said...

Although it's green, there are "seeds" in it. We did have the nice healthy yellow stuff, just not sure what's happened. I'm suspicous that it's the nighttime feedings, she only eats for about 5-10 minutes before she dozes off again. I tried again with a bottle and she screamed. So I guess that idea's out, lol! I am block feeding. I very rarely offer the second one, only when she doesn't seem satisified.