>

Search This Blog For Treasures

September 28, 2008

Ye Old Folk...

I'm only 33, and as I was eating lunch yesterday when reality hit hard, I could be a Grandparent now. Allen's 18 and Matt's 15. Reality check. A few years ago I decided that I never wanted to be called Grandmother, etc. My Granchildren will call me-- Mimi. Blah, so anyway, that's several years away. So what do you plan to be called? I did a search to find the most popular Southern Grandparents names.

Nanny
Granny
Me Maw
Pa Paw
Maw
Gramps
Ma Maw


So I had a Poppa & Nanny, Pa Paw & Ma Maw and my Great-Grandparents we called PeePaw Rob & Leigh-Anner (yes, it's pronounced just as its spelled, do not forget to add the er at the end and then you have the true southern pronunciation of Leigh Anna)

6 comments:

NONE said...

LOL You're too funny!
My kids have a Nanny and Papa and a grandma and grandpa. Their great grandparents were from up North and they choose to be called Meme and Pepe.
I think I'll like to be called Nanny but I can't see my husband as a Papa.. lol What does Scott want to be called?

The Todd's said...

Hmmm I have no idea what I want to be called, but I don't have to face that for many years. I do like Mimi! It's very warm and loving.

Rosie : ) said...

Our background is all French, so we have many other versions of the grandparents' names. Here is a quick list:

grand-maman, grand-mère, memère, mamie.


grand-papa, grand-père, pepère, papie.

Those are the most common names. :)

carrhop said...

I've had that realization--I clicked over the four decade thing last year and two of my best friends became grandmothers--so it's never to early to start finding the grandparent nicknames!!!

Blessings!

Goob said...

Hi! Thanks for coming by my blog. My grandfather was born in Tennessee, a state I've never yet visited. ( unless you count the drive we made through Memphis once.) I think I'll let the grandkids decide what to call me. Kids always come up with something that sticks whether you like it or not anyways.

The Foley 5 said...

I don't even want to think about it ... well, just yet anyways! LOL If I had a choice, it would probebly be Noni (like my grandmother)